In the fall of 2014 we purchased the Treasure Garden AKZ13 13’ Cantilevered Umbrella.
I put the umbrella up for the first time on a calm day. I filled all four of the jugs holding the base with water as per the instructions. The umbrella certainly seemed to be substantially built, the structure appeared to be made entirely of metal and it was so heavy that it required 3 of us to install it on the base. It was a very calm day.
I left my wife alone sitting under it. I heard her calling for help a short time later and I returned to find a small breeze had started. She was struggling to hold the umbrella from tipping over. I came down to help her and discovered that the base was in no way heavy/wide enough to support the umbrella upright in the breeze. When I attempted to lower the umbrella, the rope came out of the main shaft and jammed. We were both holding up the umbrella and trying to remedy this when it suddenly collapsed upon us. After extricating ourselves, I found the cause of the second (third?) malfunction – the hub that holds the umbrella together is made of a soft plastic. The metal screws holding the metal ribs in place had pulled out of the plastic.
I am amazed that TreasureGarden would sell such a dangerous product. This did not happen because of a single defective item (Except perhaps the fact that the umbrella could not be lowered because of the rope unspooling out of the main shaft). The design itself clearly suffers from two obvious defects:
1. The water-filled base is inadequate to hold 13’ span of the umbrella upright even in gentle winds (again see the first photo for an indication of how calm the day was).
2. There is no point making 95% of the umbrella structure out of metal, when one of the critical structural elements is made of a low-grade soft plastic. When the hub fails, the whole thing comes crashing down. The fact that the rest of it is metal and therefore very heavy only makes this more dangerous.
I was grateful that neither my wife nor God-Daughter were injured.
When reading the instructions, I saw on page 9 the following advice “When adjusting the umbrella, make sure that no persons or items are close to the umbrella. This is important to prevent injury or material damage.” Since this umbrella operates via a manual crank, perhaps you could explain how we could have avoided being under the umbrella when we were trying to lower it and it collapsed? A remote control did not come with the package.
When attempting to contact TreasureGarden (this was out of concern for them putting such a product on the market), I discovered that there is no email or other contact information in the instruction manual that come with the umbrella. Their webpage http://www.treasuregarden.com/ does have a “Contact” tab but there is no email or phone number listed. They clearly are not interested in being contacted. The page only lists how to become a dealer of their product.
Avoid this manufacturer, they are imitating a high-quality product and apparently have no regard for the safety of the unfortunate consumer who purchases their product.
More Review Details
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Product or Service Quality|
- Reason of review:
- Bad quality
- Preferred solution:
- Company should be shut down.
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Treasure Garden Akz13 Cantilevered Umbrella
- Review category
- Furniture and Decor
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "I purchased a 9' Black Forest Umbrella from a local dealer on September 14, 2012. After using it for one month I sprayed it with water to be sure..."
- "The "10 year warranty" is a load of BS. After a month, the seam in my pillow opened up and the fill started to spill out. I called the company..."
- "On the date of 10/24/11I purchased a living room set from Ashley Furniture .The set consisted of ,A couch and love seat, 2 end tables ,one soft table.I thought..."
- "We just bought our very first trailer back in February 2015. We did all the research, found out the best brands and looked at hundreds of trailers. We..."
- "I am very disappointed! The material they used is very cheap! Size is kids size. Poorly done and very cheap fabric. The color is even very different from what the..."
- "Disappointed with service, templates used are not easy to customize offline. Live chat is also not available all the time. Lost few days of access, see attached image. Days lost was not..."
- "buena pagina para comprar articulos a buenos precios. tienen de todo un poco, desde articulos para decoracion de uñas a .40 centavos de dolar hasta celulares xiaomi recien lanzados al mercado! la..."
- "My first purchase from this internet company of a 17.00 Hummingbird Feeder with a nearly $12.00 S&H charge, of which is 70 % of the cost. For some unknown reason, the..."
- "I have made the mistake of purchasing 2 leather sofa's in which the pillows tend to keep propping out and we keep sinking into the back of the sofa and..."