In the fall of 2014 we purchased the Treasure Garden AKZ13 13’ Cantilevered Umbrella.
I put the umbrella up for the first time on a calm day. I filled all four of the jugs holding the base with water as per the instructions. The umbrella certainly seemed to be substantially built, the structure appeared to be made entirely of metal and it was so heavy that it required 3 of us to install it on the base. It was a very calm day.
I left my wife alone sitting under it. I heard her calling for help a short time later and I returned to find a small breeze had started. She was struggling to hold the umbrella from tipping over. I came down to help her and discovered that the base was in no way heavy/wide enough to support the umbrella upright in the breeze. When I attempted to lower the umbrella, the rope came out of the main shaft and jammed. We were both holding up the umbrella and trying to remedy this when it suddenly collapsed upon us. After extricating ourselves, I found the cause of the second (third?) malfunction – the hub that holds the umbrella together is made of a soft plastic. The metal screws holding the metal ribs in place had pulled out of the plastic.
I am amazed that TreasureGarden would sell such a dangerous product. This did not happen because of a single defective item (Except perhaps the fact that the umbrella could not be lowered because of the rope unspooling out of the main shaft). The design itself clearly suffers from two obvious defects:
1. The water-filled base is inadequate to hold 13’ span of the umbrella upright even in gentle winds (again see the first photo for an indication of how calm the day was).
2. There is no point making 95% of the umbrella structure out of metal, when one of the critical structural elements is made of a low-grade soft plastic. When the hub fails, the whole thing comes crashing down. The fact that the rest of it is metal and therefore very heavy only makes this more dangerous.
I was grateful that neither my wife nor God-Daughter were injured.
When reading the instructions, I saw on page 9 the following advice “When adjusting the umbrella, make sure that no persons or items are close to the umbrella. This is important to prevent injury or material damage.” Since this umbrella operates via a manual crank, perhaps you could explain how we could have avoided being under the umbrella when we were trying to lower it and it collapsed? A remote control did not come with the package.
When attempting to contact TreasureGarden (this was out of concern for them putting such a product on the market), I discovered that there is no email or other contact information in the instruction manual that come with the umbrella. Their webpage http://www.treasuregarden.com/ does have a “Contact” tab but there is no email or phone number listed. They clearly are not interested in being contacted. The page only lists how to become a dealer of their product.
Avoid this manufacturer, they are imitating a high-quality product and apparently have no regard for the safety of the unfortunate consumer who purchases their product.
More Review Details
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Product or Service Quality|
- Reason of review:
- Bad quality
- Preferred solution:
- Company should be shut down.
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Treasure Garden Akz13 Cantilevered Umbrella
- Review category
- Furniture and Decor
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "This is the worst place that may have to buy furniture ,horrible experience see pictures..."
- "I bought a "bonded" leather sofa/sleeper in 2011 with a 5yr Goof Proof warranty. The cushions started to buckle and peel this year, after the 1yr manufacturer warranty expired. I..."
- "Purchased leather Big Picture package ($1999.99) from Garner White with the leather protection coverage ($99.00). Leather Is crumbling between the cushions, arm rest, and back rest area (see pics). Product..."
- "They cancel orders without reason. They do NOT answers and communications: Phone, email. Their 24.7 Chat Line does NOT work. Communication is so important for consumers when buying tech. having someone to assist with..."
- "Hey this is my Bosch fridge of just over 5 years old. DO you notice anything different about it compared to others. That's right....it has no handles. We've owned..."
- "I purchased a .8 oval cut diamond solitaire ring from Primestyle Jewelers and twenty two days ago I informed them that due to their poor workmanship the stone fell out..."
- "We got a bed from Easyhome and a few months later we got bed bugs. We called Easyhome ( Store #202, 9104-118th Ave, Edmonton) They told us to throw the..."
- "Every month I have to contact them. They tell me problem is resolved and the next month they do it again. Charges for install and their modem I never got..."
- "I have no idea who these *** crazy psycho chics were. I am not from the area. I was in town for the night and went here to eat. These..."