Treasure Garden - Avoid This Product!!!

In the fall of 2014 we purchased the Treasure Garden AKZ13 13’ Cantilevered Umbrella.

I put the umbrella up for the first time on a calm day. I filled all four of the jugs holding the base with water as per the instructions. The umbrella certainly seemed to be substantially built, the structure appeared to be made entirely of metal and it was so heavy that it required 3 of us to install it on the base. It was a very calm day.

I left my wife alone sitting under it. I heard her calling for help a short time later and I returned to find a small breeze had started. She was struggling to hold the umbrella from tipping over. I came down to help her and discovered that the base was in no way heavy/wide enough to support the umbrella upright in the breeze. When I attempted to lower the umbrella, the rope came out of the main shaft and jammed. We were both holding up the umbrella and trying to remedy this when it suddenly collapsed upon us. After extricating ourselves, I found the cause of the second (third?) malfunction – the hub that holds the umbrella together is made of a soft plastic. The metal screws holding the metal ribs in place had pulled out of the plastic.

I am amazed that TreasureGarden would sell such a dangerous product. This did not happen because of a single defective item (Except perhaps the fact that the umbrella could not be lowered because of the rope unspooling out of the main shaft). The design itself clearly suffers from two obvious defects:

1. The water-filled base is inadequate to hold 13’ span of the umbrella upright even in gentle winds (again see the first photo for an indication of how calm the day was).

2. There is no point making 95% of the umbrella structure out of metal, when one of the critical structural elements is made of a low-grade soft plastic. When the hub fails, the whole thing comes crashing down. The fact that the rest of it is metal and therefore very heavy only makes this more dangerous.

I was grateful that neither my wife nor God-Daughter were injured.

When reading the instructions, I saw on page 9 the following advice “When adjusting the umbrella, make sure that no persons or items are close to the umbrella. This is important to prevent injury or material damage.” Since this umbrella operates via a manual crank, perhaps you could explain how we could have avoided being under the umbrella when we were trying to lower it and it collapsed? A remote control did not come with the package.

When attempting to contact TreasureGarden (this was out of concern for them putting such a product on the market), I discovered that there is no email or other contact information in the instruction manual that come with the umbrella. Their webpage does have a “Contact” tab but there is no email or phone number listed. They clearly are not interested in being contacted. The page only lists how to become a dealer of their product.

Avoid this manufacturer, they are imitating a high-quality product and apparently have no regard for the safety of the unfortunate consumer who purchases their product.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Reason of review:
Bad quality
Preferred solution:
Company should be shut down.
Monetary loss:
Product or service
Treasure Garden Akz13 Cantilevered Umbrella
Review category
Furniture and Decor
review #734932

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Treasure Garden? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 3 No 3
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jul 21 #1188017

Yes, I have had the very same problem> I wrote to them and there was no answer to my e-mail. I will advise anyone to stay away from Treasure Gardens Products. You will be paying a lot for a worthless umbrella.

0 0 Reply

Dec 24, 2015 #1083459

Hello. I do apologize for your experience. I did look into this and I am glad we were able to resolve this. Your feedback is greatly appreciated as we always strive to do better. Please feel free to contact me at if you would like to discuss further. Regards, Tiffany (Customer Service Mgr, Treasure Garden)

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.